Painting on a leotard

General discussion about rhythmic gymnastics and athletes.

Moderator: jrandyb

Painting on a leotard

Postby rowgymmom » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:26 am

I am wondering if anyone can help me with painting on a leotard, with fabric (textile) paints. I have done it before, but in small areas. The paint cracked a bit, but as the painting was minimal, this was no big deal.

I am getting ready to paint quit a bit of a leotard though, in big areas, and am wondering how to stop the cracking. Do I thin the paint? With what- water? Paint it stretched, maybe while wearing ( :oops: don't laugh- I considered this!)? Any advice?
rowgymmom
Platinum Member

Re: Painting on a leotard

Postby 2gym » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:50 am

Yes, you have to stretch it, and put waxed paper or something non-stick under it. Here is more information.
http://rsg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9558&start=0

There are more painting replies there, just look around for them.
Good Luck!
2gym
Platinum Member

Postby canrgmom » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:34 pm

I just finished "painting" a bit of a design on a bodysuit for my daughter. I actually found the fabric markers to be great. They come in lots of colours, they are thin-tipped and easy to use, don't run and don't "feather" the fabric. I didn't really need to stretch the fabric because the markers are not dimensional like paint; consequently, there's no cracking. Good luck with your project. :)
canrgmom

Postby Rosalyn » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:55 am

I did some heavy painting on a leotard and tights for my daughter a few years back. (It was for a ballet costume, not a rhythmic leo.) I made cardboard cutouts of a leg and a torso, each one measuring HALF THE PERIMETER of the body part it was stretched for. For instance, if her waist was 24", then the cutout was 12" at the waist. If the hips were 32", the cutout was 15" at the hips. You have to do this to get the same stretch as it would have on the body.

I covered each cutout with wax paper and stretched the leo/tights over them, then painted, and let it dry before carefully removing the cutouts. It worked out really well.
Rosalyn
Platinum Member

Postby rowgymmom » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:48 am

=D> Rosalyn, thank you for the cardboard idea! That is perfect. I seriously was gonna wrap her in wax paper and paint it on her, lol.
Thanks for the link to that message on rag, too, lots of great info there too! I love this board, so helpful. Maybe someday I'll learn enough to help others, too!
rowgymmom
Platinum Member

Postby ktkat » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:18 pm

Rosalyn,
Can I ask what kind of paint you used? Did it need to be heat-set? I see a lot of then do and I would be afraid to ruin the fabric.
ktkat

Postby Rosalyn » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:23 am

I used regular fabric paint that I got at JoAnn Fabrics - or maybe Michael's. I think it was latex based, and I used regular, pearlized, and sparkly.
Rosalyn
Platinum Member

Postby Anlu » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:16 am

Just finished painting leo. I used fabric paint, fabric glitter and fabric markers. Fabric needs to be prewashed. Also, always follow the instructions on paint tube. I used paint that does not require heat, but it depends. If you use only glitter it makes fabric heavier, sometimes fabric even feels like rubber. I like to add glitter into paint - fabric remains soft and painting looks more sparkly.

If you paint on darker colors, the color might look different from original. For example, when I painted on yellow fabric using olive paint , the result looked dirty blue. So, I mixed black and olive paint, and added gold glitter. The final color came olive with gold sparkles.

Good luck!
Anlu
Platinum Member

Postby rowgymmom » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:47 am

I use seta color fabric paints, they come in opaque, pearl, metallic. They must be heat set, but work great on dark fabrics even- the first Leo I painted on was black. They had them at michaels as of 2 years ago, and I found shop in Seoul with them so that is all I have ever used. You can mix them to make lighter and darker colors.
rowgymmom
Platinum Member

Postby anora » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:48 am

Very nice to see you all there on this topic.. It is good topic to discuss here.. I like myself in painted leotards. The leotard is looking very nice and attractive in painting with different colors...
anora

Postby Blue Painter » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:27 pm

Hi, I need any info someone can give me about painting a unitard or leotard. It is a very dark royal blue unitard and has to be painted with an airbrush to look like ice. White and lighter blue. Can it be done, and what paint do I use and what would the formula be? Does anyone have experience in this. Need to know about it as soon as I can. Thanks.

Blue Painter.
Blue Painter

Postby rhythmic_girl » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:42 pm

Hi, I have painted many leotards and the paint I use is Jacquards textile water based fabric paint. It works really well and has every color you can think of, neon, dark, gold, metallic, etc. It also does not crack, and is permanent after ironing. (On occasion I sometimes also use the a cheaper kind from Joann fabrics classed Matte Tulip soft fabric paint. It also works well but is not as good of a quality, and doesn't have a large selection of colors.) If you paint the leotard while it is lying flat, even when the gymnast puts it on, and the fabric stretches there are no gaps or strange looking lines. It really does look just as it did laying flat, so I would suggest trying Jacquards.
Fabric markers do work well, however I have found them to bleed, (even if they were permanent), it doesn't usually show from far away, but on light colors it certainly can be a problem.
Jacquards is also good to try out because if you make a mistake, it is very easy to cover with another color, and have it not even show at all.
And to bluepainter, in regards to your dark blue unitard: If you buy a white paint, and cover the area that you wish to paint with that first, then you can get beautiful vibrant light colors on a darker fabric. I would suggest doing the design in white, and while it is still slightly wet, to use a medium value blue, apply to one end of the white design and slowly blend down to get a gradient effect. I hope that makes sense.
And hope that helps.
If anyone has any more specific questions about fabric painting feel free to ask, I have had quite a bit of experience in the area and would love to help out.
Good luck to all you painters!
rhythmic_girl

Postby rhythmic_girl » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:18 pm

I know it has been a while since this post was originally started but I finally got around to filming a video about painting rhythmic leotards if anyone is interested.
Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/rhythmicgym101
Thanks!
rhythmic_girl

Postby satinsprite » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:55 pm

Rhythmic_girl....do you think that Jacquard's textile paint would work on a ribbon?
satinsprite

Postby rhythmic_girl » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:08 am

RE:postby satinsprite » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:55 pm
Hey! I don't think fabric paints would be the best choice for a ribbon because it does make the fabric slightly stiffer, and also might make the ribbon feel heavier.
For coloring ribbons I usually just use dye, fabric markers, sharpie, or a combination of the three.
Hope that answers your question. :)
rhythmic_girl

Postby satinsprite » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:50 am

Thank you so much....I will try the markers and sharpies. :)
satinsprite

Postby shutterbug » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:10 pm

You can paint with jaquard procion mx dyes...but you have to add urea (slows drying process) and a little sodium alginate to thicken it a bit...I usually draw the design with a pale gray fabric marker
shutterbug

Postby Rosi » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:22 pm

rhythmic_girl wrote:I know it has been a while since this post was originally started but I finally got around to filming a video about painting rhythmic leotards if anyone is interested.
Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/rhythmicgym101
Thanks!

What a beautiful leo!
Do you make and sell leo's?
Rosi

Postby rhythmic_girl » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:45 pm

Hey! Sorry for the slow reply, I don't check rhythmicmom very often.
Yes I make & sell leotards as well as decorate ribbons to match.
If you have any questions about that feel free to contact me at manonchaney@gmail.com
Thanks!~
rhythmic_girl

Postby dupko » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:09 am

rhythmic_girl wrote:Hey! Sorry for the slow reply, I don't check rhythmicmom very often.
Yes I make & sell leotards as well as decorate ribbons to match.
If you have any questions about that feel free to contact me at manonchaney@gmail.com
Thanks!~

Can u anwers my mail? [-o<
dupko

Next

Return to General Discussion