Glitter glue designs

General discussion about rhythmic gymnastics and athletes.

Moderator: jrandyb

Glitter glue designs

Postby mom24 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:13 pm

I am thinking of adding some design to a leotard with glitter glue rather than crystals. It is on a hem and I am wanting to do it in black. I wanted to add some color and glitter without adding so much weight. Has anyone done this successfully? Does it crack and fall off easily?
mom24

Re: Glitter glue designs

Postby Rosalyn » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:19 am

I've never done it, but it's hard to imagine it coming out the way you'd want it. My experience with glitter glue in general is that it never dries as glittery as you want it to be, and it does tend to come off of anything flexible (like fabric) unless you use a very thin layer, which isn't going to be very glittery.

Personally I kind of like the way the crystals add a little weight to the skirt, as it seems to hang better. Some people use a fabric pen to draw a line on the edge and then put crystals every half inch or so. It gives the same sparkly appearance with less weight. Or, sequins can be a good option.
Rosalyn
Platinum Member

Postby Kats Designs » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:46 am

As manufacturers of rhythmic leotards we have experimented with glitter glue in the past and I would not recommend using it especially on a hem. If it is on a skirt, the skirt needs to flow and the glitter glue will dry and prevent the skirt from flowing freely as it will be more rigid than before. Rosalyn's suggestion of sequins or perhaps a trim would be more suitable and effective.
Last edited by Kats Designs on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kats Designs

Postby mom24 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:08 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. The hem is in several pieces so being too stiff and not flowing is not my concern but the fact that glue may come off easily is. There are no sequins any where else on the leotard so how would it look, design-wise, to have them just on the hem? I am giving up on the glue idea :) .
mom24

Postby Kats Designs » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:20 pm

It's hard to say how it would look with sequins without actually seeing the leotard.
Kats Designs

Postby mom24 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:53 pm

i could send a pic to your email
mom24

Postby Kats Designs » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Yes i'd be happy to take a look at it.
Kats Designs

Return to General Discussion